Sunday, May 6, 2012


I love the confidence that makeup gives me. ~ Tyra Banks 



So this week I have chosen to write about one thing I adore…my passion…make-up!  Some of you may wonder what make-up really has to do with fashion…but it really has everything to do with it.  The way a woman wears their make –up can completely change the way their clothing looks on them.

I myself have always been interested in bold statement make-up…but I know this isn’t for everyone.  I can be found walking into the office with lime green and teal eye shadow smudged together with a purple liner one day, and then a natural brown shimmer the next.  To me make-up artistry is an expression of self.  Just as your clothing has something to say about you and your life style…so does your make-up. 

I can honestly say in both my own make-up adventures and in my professional gigs when I do some of my make-up artistry for events by far my favorite part of the face to play with is the eyes.  If the eyes are windows to the soul…well then eye make-up are a gorgeous set of stained glass windows. 






Some of you may say “but I don’t even know where to start or what I need”…it really is about the tools and the technique.  My make up skills have been completely self taught.  I find myself watching YouTube tutorials for hours on end at night learning new techniques for fun eye make-up.   If you are truly interested in learning some bold eye make-up techniques my all time favorite site is www.makeupgeek.com.  For anyone who loves make-up this site is like heaven on the internet!

Many people fall into the misconception that to get good results you must pay an arm and a leg for your make-up…this is simply not true.  There are actually some amazing brands that will not break your bank or your heart.  Now there is one product I would recommend not going cheap on…your eye shadow base…my personal recommendation is Lancôme Aquatique in Nude (now if you are a darker skin tone you may want to use Deep instead…I am just incredibly pale…porcelain if you will). 

Blush:
Affordable – E.L.F. – Found at Target -  Takes a bit more product, but has a nice color, normally runs about $3.00
Splurge – Lancôme Blush Subtil – Most major department stores that sell high end cosmetics – my personal favorite shade is Shimmer Pink Pool - $30.00

Eye Shadow:
Affordable – Maybelline ExpertWear Eyeshadow Quad – I personally LOVE the Sunlight Bronze Quad - $6.25
Splurge – Christian Dior 5 Couleurs Designer– my favorite set is actually discontinued; however, a close second favorite has to be Green Design…c’est magnifique! - $59.00

Mascara:
Affordable – Maybelline Volum’ Express Falsies Flared Wand – for most dramatic effect use Blackest Black or Glam Black - $7.77
Splurge - Okay…I have 2…  Benefit – They’re Real $22.00, or Christian Dior Show Iconic Extreme - $28.50.

Lip Gloss
Affordable – L’Oreal Colour Juice – Personally I love Raspberry Smash - $8.48
Splurge – Stila Lip Glaze – in my opinion by far the best lip gloss I have EVER used…fave shade…Apricot! - $22.00 http://www.stilacosmetics.com/  <~ it may be a splurge...but it is worth it!!! 


I could go on for days…weeks…and months about make-up.  The last and most important key for a flawless face is…using a foundation brush.  It may seem like a bit of a frivolous investment at first…however, you will save quite a few pennies because you will use much less make up when using the brush.  Also the product goes on more smoothly and evenly with a much better blend. 

Well…that is all I have for you now…for forward and conquer…one smoky eye look at a time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment